Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Grannie

It's an extremely sad day today as my Grannie passed away this morning. She was 95 years old. I've spent the day thinking of all the good times I had with her and with all of my grandparents (all of whom have passed on). Even though we didn't get to spend enormous amounts of time with them like some people do, the times we did spend were special and shine like diamonds in my memory. I think that the fact we only saw them a few times crystallized those memories in such a way that I'll always be able to remember the little moments that meant so much. Like Dad's Mum eating all of her dinner, half of Dad's Father's, then all her dessert and half of another one too. Or the times in Spain with Grannie and Granpa, sitting on their veranda eating the most amazing food and drinking (me) a tiny shot glass full of martini (mostly it was full of an ice cube). There's no room for the banal today, just a quick note to honour the passing of my Grannie. Times like these I hope that there is something out there afterwards and that she's playing a game of dominoes with Grandpa on a veranda somewhere warm.....

No comments: