Thursday, March 16, 2017

Going up sunshine mountain

It was in my coordinator year that Todd first climbed the tree and sang the sunshine mountain song. He was passionate and I realised later on a fair bit crazy (which is why we were such good friends) and he inspired even then a greater degree of the concept of team than just about anyone I have met since.

Anyway, he climbed the tree, sang the song and the explained how it works for a team. One person stands up and sings the song complete with the actions and at the end points to one other person who then gets up and sings along with him. After a while everyone is standing up or standing on chairs and the whole group sings together. It's simple, it's brilliant, and I loved singing it cause it felt like I was part of something special. Which I believe it was.

The song goes like this and you march on the spot the whole time you're singing:

We're going up Sunshine Mountain where the four winds blow (cup hands to mouth and make blowing sound)

We're going up Sunshine Mountain faces all a glee (point index fingers at cheeks and make twisting motion)

Turn your back on troubles (turn around, the turn back)

Reach up for the sky (reach hands in the air)

We're going up Sunshine Mountain you and I (point to someone)

It's a neat song and a brilliant team builder. We sang it in groups for two years and when Todd left the council the song sort of went with him. I'm grateful I got to sing it with such a great group of people!! This has come to mind today cause yesterday we climbed a mountain and I sang it in my head as we reached the top...

No comments: