Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Tennis Court Park

I'm sure it had a real name, but I either never knew it or have forgotten it in the intervening decades (wow that make me sound old!). The Tennis Court Park, which all I can remember in terms of a name for it, was down the street from the school and was a fabulous mix of open space, great trees for climbing and a tennis court.

There was a line of trees on one edge of the tennis courts that were crab apple trees. These trees were no end of entertainment for us. We'd climb them, swing from them, chase each other around them, play hide and seek in their general vicinity and when there were actual crab apples on them, we'd eat them. Oh, and we threw them at each other and had crab apple fights on a very regular basis.

Off the end of the crab apple trees there was a line of really tall pine trees. Also excellent for climbing and one of the best spots to hide during evening sessions of hide and seek cause once you were up a few meters no one could see you from the ground. I used to drop pine cones on my friends from up there...heh heh

It was also the park where I first met Billy. I don't recall what we were doing, why were either of us were there, but I do know that at some point he must have annoyed little, ridiculously short fused me cause I ended up whipping him with a stick. Of course his Mum was livid and called my Mum (thanks small town phone book!) and so my Mum walk/ran me over to his house to apologise. I did, and then we started to hang out. I've known Bill now for a very long time now and I don't think we've actually had a conversation about that day...

At the end of the crab apple season, the country Hutterites would descend on the park, scale the trees and pick the entire crop of crab apples. It was a sigh to see. One day there were crab apples, the next they were all gone. I understand that they made amazing jelly out them. Something to try some day if I ever get another chance!

I just google mapped the park and used the little yellow man to get the street view. Sad to say the tennis courts are gone. There's a lovely green lawn, but no courts. AH HA! The name is Memorial Park Playground. Cool. Gotta love google. Oooh and the crab apple trees are still there too! So many memories.....

No comments: