So I'm in Manila again, second trip in 9 months. Meeting with out outsourced payroll provider and trying to impress some global HR contacts within my organisation. They padded my ego by telling me they loved my presentation on our experience to date and also that they were grateful that I had come to the conference. I dunno, sometimes it all feels so fake it makes me giggle inside. If I was Dogbert my tail would be waggin uncontrollably. Ah well, it's the price I pay for being a corporate whore.
Drank a few San Miguel beers tonight as we were on a team building outing with the whole team of Philipino staffers bowling. Of all things, bowling. Crazy. Tomorrow night the local expat senior execs are taking us out on the town for what I imagine will be a wild night of drinking and god knows what. There is something that makes me feel very guilty about going out here as I know in the back of my mind that I make probably 100 times the average Philipino salary per year. I compared the feeling today to one of the other visitors to being a slave owner in the old pre confederate US. I know that I'm essentially exploiting them but there isn't a thing I can do about it beyond tipping a lot. I was told that tipping 50 pesos is crazy, but 50 pesos is only one dollar and twenty five cents! The other day I tipped the cabbie who drove us to the work site 100 pesos cause the fare for a 90 minute drive was 400 pesos (10 dollars) and I figured 2.50 wasn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.
It's been a long time between posts and there has been a lot going on in my life. I should write more in this blog, but I don't seem to get around to it. Finished my masters, starting a family, almost quit my job at one point. Yup, it's all happening.
On a lighter note, I scored 10 goals and got 5 assists for 15 points in 10 games during the winter hockey season. I've also gained about 10 pounds that I'm now trying to get rid of. Also went hang gliding recently and loved it.
Drinking tonight makes me feel the same way I have always felt after a couple....that I could very easily fall into the alcoholic trap cause I love the feeling of being only partly in control. That's the same reason I loved pot, hash and mushrooms so much. That one weekend at Sun Peaks back in the day was scary too...cause man did I love that feeling. Nuff said.
I wonder, if in the grand scheme of things my interest in philosophy is mostly made up of my enjoyment of drugs and alcohol. Hmmm.
More tomorrow night when I roll back here hammered...if I can figure out the computer! heh heh
No comments:
Post a Comment