Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Long weekends

Long weekends are great, but they make me want a whole month off. I don't know what it is exactly about that extra day off, but it makes it so hard to really want to go back to work. Perhaps if I knew I wouldn't have five hundred things to do when I get back to work. Now public holidays off are good because the rest of the company is off too, so the work doesn't pile up. Hmmm.

I spent my day off at the dentists and the doctors. Excitement central, I know. Tell you what though, the dentists has sure advanced since my first visit when I was, oh 5 or 6. They no longer use the scraper, but instead have a sonic plaque remover. Sweet. No more scratching at the surface of the teeth. Another groovy new toy is the brushless polishing system. This is especially wild as it's like having a water/sand blaster combo being sprayed at your teeth. Brilliant, and doesn't hurt at all like the brush used to if you have sensitive gums. I was honestly impressed by the technology and even made the decision to go every 6 months from now on.

Watching the news about the descent into anarchy taking place in France has got me thinking about the decline and fall of modern society. I once adopted the soap box stance that the internet was the downfall of modern society (and despite my usage of it I'm still not convinced it isn't) and now I'm leaning more to entertainment technology in general. I can even look in the mirror and see how t.v., games machines, computer games and online games have impacted my life negatively. When did it become o.k. to simply potatoe away our lives? Hypocritical of me, yes, nevertheless correct, yes again. I've found that eliminating the entertainment technologies in my life has greatly increased my will to read, write and socialize. Which to my mind are much more useful than getting to the next level in an online video game.

No comments: