On the way to work today I was listening to the very first Led Zeppelin album, wondering what it must have been like being at their first gigs back before they were mega stars. I often think that when I listen to the amazing music that came from that era. Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, Genesis, the Beatles even. How awesome must it have been to hear them live in a small venue? My contention is that music peaked in that era and then the 80's began a musical decline. heh heh. I have no basis in fact, just my view of the music out there right now.
Another life highlight in the last five months, I got to see Phil Collins in concert. It was as amazing as I expected and even in his frailty (had to sit for most of the concert saying, "Had foot surgery and my back is fucked!") he was still a brilliant artist. The thing that struck me most about it all was that it was just like a group of old friends on stage jamming. There was no pretentiousness, no BS, just really great music. For added amusement, his 17 year old son was on the Drums. He's exceptional, clearly a chip off the old block. They played all my favourites and also a couple Genesis songs. Brilliant.
So yeah, it's been a fun 5 months!
No comments:
Post a Comment