Friday, July 14, 2017

Musical Interlude

I’m not sure how it happened but I seem to have a pretty eclectic music taste. I like a wide range of music; classical, jazz, bluegrass, country, rock, punk, metal, thrash, rap, rave, electronic, EDM and pretty much anything you throw at me. However, I seem to gravitate towards songs that specifically have a story to tell. Bad lyrics annoy me too, so I don’t listen to just anything. Perhaps I could be considered discerning in some ways.

Anyway, what’s the point here?! I am often late to the party and find things by accident that I then fall in love with. Case in point I learned about Dan Tyminski through listening to Alison Kraus and Union Station doing bluegrass classics on the stage at the Grand Ole Opry (on tv, we weren’t actually there sadly). So, when I recently was listening to some songs by an EDM group called Avicii I thought to myself, “damn this singers voice is familiar?!”. Dr Google told me that it was Dan Tyminski doing the vocals as a one off! Awesome! I was excited and told some of my work colleagues about my extraordinary find. Their reaction was priceless as apparently the song was a #1 hit in 18 countries around the world in 2013. Yeah, only 4 years late to the party, could be worse. Heh heh

For the record the song is Hey Brother and it’s made it to my top ten list instantly. I’ve listened to it about 4 dozen times since I “found” it on Weds. That’s something else I’ve noted about myself over the years, I can quite happily listen to a song I like dozens of times over without getting tired of it. Which begs the question of what would be my top ten if I could only listen to 10 or so songs for the rest of my life?

Just for fun, here’s a stab at that list:

Burning Heart – Survivor. There’s more of theirs that I like but this one has special meaning too.

Hey Brother – Avicii feat Dan Tyminski and SO MANY MORE of Dan Tyminski, this is just flavour of the moment for me.

Sabotage – Beastie Boys

Redemption Song – Bob Marley, but honestly, pretty much all his stuff.

Take Me Home (Country Road) – John Denver. He never leaves you feeling sad, it’s great pick me up music.

Lose Yourself – Eminem

New York State of Mind – Nas

Friend of the Devil – Grateful Dead along with a select few others but man they can just jam so beautifully!

Wonderwall – Oasis

Firestarter – The Prodigy... and Breathe... and Smack My Bitch Up…

Easter – The Smalls

(Take it from a) Ryeman – The Smalls and again pretty much all of their stuff.

An Honest Gamble – Spirit of the West. So many great songs!

Wheat Kings – The Tragically Hip and again ALL of their stuff rocks so much

Here I go – Whitesnake

Yeah and the list could go on…hard to pin down just a hand full that I would listen to exclusively. Hit fifteen in about 2 mins up there and didn’t even scratch the surface. Music is wonderful and I’m sort of surprised I like it so much considering I spent the first 20 years of my life barely listening to it!

No comments: