I've been there. I know, I know, it sounds like I'm talking shit, but I have actually been in the flow state before a few times and it. Is. Magic. It's so magic I (and just did thinking about it)I get goosebumps remembering the times in my life that I've been lucky enough to experience it.
1) The Commando Run, abseiling face first down the cliff face when on a student leader camp. I can remember it as clear as if it only happened the other day. The feel of the rope in my hands, the pinch of the harness at my groin and around my hips, the rush of the wind, then the falling, every single mote of dust clearly visible and the instinctive understanding of when to pull back on the rope to stop from crashing into the ground. The RUSH. Man, the rush. Oh god the rush. I was awake for two straight days after that. Had I had the understanding that this was something I could get over and over again I would have dumped Uni right then and there and gone on the chase.
2) Snowboarding at Sun Peaks, dodging through a crazy glade, chasing Shane and Randy, ripping turns at the very edge of my capability and then having the sudden sensation that it was all good, not only could I keep up but I could catch them! And then the big hit, the hidden stump pitching me forward, but no panic, no fear, just the instinctive voice in my head saying, "tuck and roll or you die up against that big tree" and in less than a heartbeat tucking and rolling so that my board smashed the tree and I was completely unhurt. In fact, the roll made my whole back and neck crackle and it was like the best chiropractic adjustment ever.
3) Snowboarding in Kicking Horse Pass - Golden, the last time I ever put on a snowboard. Racing down a double black diamond run and following Shane and Randy as they arched left into a massive glade again. The slowdown of time, the brilliance of the snow, the absence of sounds, the feeling of being totally at home in myself, the board, WITH the mountain. When that run ended I was so calm and at peace is was unbelievable.
From reading this book I now know what I experienced...and I want more... but I need to figure out how to get to it without the danger of actually dying. I have more books to read now and some personal experimentation to do. I'll report back later.
No comments:
Post a Comment